Tuesday, February 14, 2012

List Update!


Happy Valentine's Day friends and loved ones! This is my first "American" holiday that I am celebrating on my own here.The Colombian Valentine's Day is in September (?). So I've taken the time today to reflect on my experiences here so far...


A list update! You remember I began the year with some goals, or resolutions for my year here. And contrary to most resolution plans, I am sticking to it! Here’s how things are going so far, with some additions. 

Learn Spanish: This is going surprisingly well. Living with a host mom that only speaks Spanish and pushing myself to not have things translated means I am actually a quick learner. The challenge of course is to not be afraid to make mistakes. I am tested every day when I gauge how much of my students’ conversations I understand. 

Figure out how to add Spanish accents to words on my keyboard: Still no help here? Though using Spanish keyboards in the internet cafĂ© is quite exciting.  

Learn to dance the salsa: haven’t worked on this one much yet. Just some casual dancing and good music at the few bars I’ve ventured out to. This is definitely staying on the list.

Stay vegetarian: No problems here. I have successfully made my own yummy treats and explored a plethora of traditional Colombian cuisine all while staying veggie true.

Tasha, Natalie (fellow veggie) and me eating cheese and onion empanadas
Cook a traditional Colombian dish: Success! My next blog will focus on food, but so far so good on the Colombian food exploration front. Some recipes I am tracking down are Arroz con pollo (chicken and rice-for me with mushrooms), Arepas, natural juices, and empanadas. Look for another post about all of this ASAP.

Read 100 years of Solitude: This has not happened yet. No Reservations on the TV here is too tempting each night. But I am slowly reading more, this may be a better vacation goal for me. 

Ride on a Chiva! A new addition to the list. These literal party buses are infamous for their amazing colors, music, and atmosphere. I am waiting for that special occasion when I am ready to take on the town and strut my salsa moves in a motorized vehicle.

Go to a Futbol Game: As a lover of the great American past time I feel its only fair to pay my respects to Colombia’s favorite sport. I have to ask my students which team I should be rooting for. 

Visit Usaquen: So I already did this, but it's necessary on the list because I want to do it over and over again. This little town within Bogota has everything I love-- the flair of Eastern Market or a Burlington VT Farmer's Market, lots of puppies, unique arts and crafts, and cheap food! This will be a regular Sunday outing.

Some of the many beautiful art stands in Usaquen

Hike Monserrate: This is a famous Bogota landmark that is a cathedral on top of a mountain overlooking the city. I rode in the cable car in 2010 when I visited, but now it's time to tackle the hike up. Fortunately I have been walking all over town building up my strength for this. 

Plan a great trip for Mom and Dave: First visitors at the end of April. The pressure's on to make their stay here fabulous. I have a feeling a lot of coffee will be involved. :)

Now for the adventure New Things...

Bogota bike tour! This hasn’t happened yet and neither has my purchase of a bike. I would love to bike but I actually live too close to things for biking and walking is just much easier. Also, it’s too bad Bogota has no good places to rent bikes (open market for any VTers willing to tap this?) I have admired the Ciclovia from afar- this is during every Sunday in Bogota they shut down some main streets and open them for bikers. It’s really awesome. I wish more cities caught on!


Travel to Barranquilla for Carnaval Not happening. Tickets are too much and it is too soon to coordinate (meaning THIS weekend!) I’m happy for my coastal peers, but looks like Team Bogota will be staying in the big city.

Travel to Cartegena for some R&R This is happening! Over Semana Santa which is the Holy Week a few of us are going to the coast for a much-deserved vacation. I can’t wait to see how the other half (of us volunteers) lives and to take in some sun!

Travel to Manizales and the coffee roasting region This is hopefully happening when Ben visits me in July and meets me in Medellin (See goal Travel to Medellin)
Travel to Medellin, the city of eternal spring. This is also happening—I hope. I am in the planning stages of a trip during the first week of July and hopefully Ben will meet me there. Planning all these adventures is almost as fun as going on them!

Travel to Machu Pichu. This would be tough. Fortunately there is an alternative in Colombia called “La Ciudad Perdido” or “The Lost City.” Logistics, timing, and cost are all factors but I really hope this almost just as cool trip actually happens.  

Travel to Central America (Panama, Costa Rica?) Still a possibility- BUT I am adding another international destination that is almost for sure…

Ecuador! My friend Brighid here studied abroad there and is anxious to go back. I invited myself along and we hope to go during our end of June break. It’s not too far and not too expensive so I think this is my best bet for successfully leaving the country at some point this year.

AMAZON! Conveniently, Ecuador also has the Amazon and for much cheaper and closer than in Colombia. If this is going to happen it’ll probably be during my Ecuador trip, which is wonderful all around.   

No comments:

Post a Comment