Thursday, March 8, 2012

Dia de la Mujer!


Feliz Dia! ALL Americans please note: today is International Women’s Day and even though we haven’t shown much love for the ladies on this day, Colombia embraces this like Mother’s Day on steroids. I have known this day was coming and was pretty excited about a prospective day not just for moms but for all women. Which to be honest is a much better idea. We love the mommas, but Women’s Day appreciates women for all their qualities and accomplishments—those related and unrelated to giving birth.  



Last night Emilie and I attempted to make brownies in our Horno Magico (Magic Oven) because the regular oven does not work. It was only a minor disaster and we figured heck, we’ll give them to our fellow profes at school for Dia de la Mujer tomorrow. We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. Here are a few details about Dia de la Mujer that make it special:

1. On my walk to school this morning there were roses everywhere. Now, we know Colombia is one of the world’s biggest flower exporters, but usually my neighborhood isn’t graced with traditional flower shops or stands like many other parts of Bogota. Well, today they came out of nowhere and looked beautiful. The perks of being a flower exporter is that here in Colombia they are very cheap! And they also last weeks longer because I’m sure they’ve been genetically engineered to withstand worldly travel. 

2. And with those flowers…. Came eleventh graders dressed in skinny black pants and black sweaters tied around their shoulders as they pranced around handing out notes of appreciation, candy, and roses to EVERY FEMALE STUDENT AND TEACHER at Minuto de Dios. The secondary school is over 1,500 students—that’s a TON of roses! It was really beautiful to see these boys hand out the gifts to everyone and in general Colombian boys are more affectionate here. I appreciate the hugs and candy and flowers from my students today. Colombians definitely have what we are missing in the affection and caring department. 

3. So these boys in black were part of a larger ceremony that replaced the first hour and a half of class today. (I was supposed to give a diagnostic test in that class, those lucky boys!) There was a Vallenato band playing music for everyone. The mood was pretty perky for 6:45 am. 

4. As I am writing this on my break, the school administration delivers me a sewing kit? Yes please!

5. “Feliz Dia!” This is what everyone says as they give you chocolates or want to wish you a good day. Of course the literal English translation is “Happy Day!” Which is not exactly what we would say in the states. I have to refrain from busting out the old Happy Days TV show theme song (because yes, I am a 60 year old woman trapped in a 20-somethings body). 


This day has really made me think about gender roles in Colombia, especially in light of the recent attacks on women’s rights and healthcare back home. I really wish we celebrated Women’s Day (like everyone else) and Rush Limbaugh and his comrades would be forced to see women as more than just our reproductive parts. 

Colombia is obviously not perfect. Women get married and have children very young here. (I am always asked if I have babies. I tell my students they are my babies for now.) Men also have a pretty loose interpretation of fidelity and commitment in their relationships. I am shocked by how many divorces and affairs I hear about even from such a Catholic culture. Women have a long way to go to break out of stereotypes here especially related to having perfect bodies and beauty. But there are also some very powerful, strong women in this culture—from the Minister of Education we met to our own principal here at Minuto that runs the place to perfection. And today, all of us are celebrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment