Monday, July 16, 2012

Guatape (The closest thing I will get to Lake Champlain this summer)

While exploring the Colombian department of Antioquia (similar to states), we took a trip about two hours away from Medellin to the town of Guatape! Mom put this town on my list back in January when she found a hostel that we had seen on House Hunters International (a regular program in the Bailey/Gingras/Taylor family). Guatape is an adorable lakeside town famous for a giant rock to climb and zocalos, or intricate outdoor wall art.

The beautiful "House Hunters Hostel" El Encuentro.
Secluded on its own little nook of the lake.


Here is an example of the Zocalos.  Giving directions in this town must be fun,
"Turn left at the sheep and go three blocks past the donkeys 'til you get to the house with the daffodils on it!"

And this is El Penol. The giant thumb-shaped rock we  climbed. 

And something funny and typical to my life here happened. When we bought bus tickets, they asked for my name. I said Kate. Even though it may be hovering the top ten for years in the United States, Kate is nearly unheard of here. And even worse my name sounds a lot like "Que?" Which means "What?" But at the bus station my name appeared on the ticket as "Keith." K.E.I.T.H. This, my friends , shows the importance of pronunciation and spelling when learning a new language. And yes, now you can guess what the gringas have started calling me.

Me with my "Keith" ticket.
In Guatape, we went paddle-boating, went on an afternoon boat cruise, and ate some delicious fresh fish and yummy juice. Ben tried his first Pony Malta (a DISGUSTING Colombian soda) and aguardiente (a DISGUSTING Colombian alcohol). As I promised my fellow Americans, Ben is too easy to please when it comes to food, and he pretty much liked everything.

On the boardwalk, in between Ben's first experience with Colombian street food.
We also had an adorable puppy follow us around for the day and even swim to our paddle boat in the middle of the lake. We had a great time exploring this small town and taking a small break from city living. The more I explore the smaller towns in Colombia, the more I fall in love with the country--especially for it's beauty and diversity.

Our personal Guatape tour guide and new best friend.


View from the top of the rock. A close second to my summers in VT!

No comments:

Post a Comment