Saturday, December 1, 2012

What doesn't fit in a suitcase...

Today is the day I leave Colombia. My flight departs at midnight and I will be back on Beantown soil around 10:30 tomorrow morning. I'm wearing the exact same clothes I flew here in-- green sweater, scarf, and favorite jeans-- and I probably look the same too. But, of course, I'm not coming home the same. I'm taking home many more things than I could ever fit in a suitcase.

For example:

- A Colombian booty. That's right, I'm practically Shakira from behind. New pants shopping is high on the to-do list when I get home.

- An empty bank account. Such is the life of a volunteer, right?

- Arequipe, ajiaco, lulo tea, panela, aguardiente... Don't know what these things are? You'll find out!

- Quite a few more additions to my jewelry, shoe and scarf collections.

- Manicured and Pedicured nails. Things I would not do at home but need to take advantage of while I'm in a country where it costs nine bucks!

- A bigger vocabulary in Spanish, but a suffering English vocabulary! 

- Friendships with Colombians. So many great people have told me I will always have a home to come back to here. And I feel that. I will come back someday and it will feel like a little piece of home again.

- Friendships with fellow WorldTeach volunteers. I feel so lucky to have been a part of such a spectacular group of people. We have now shared a bond that will connect us for a long time.

- Questions. I came here with questions, and I am leaving with many more. But that is the beauty of exploration-- of places and of life. I honestly cannot say what my life will look like in the next year or even the next month. But one thing Colombia has taught me is to be tranquila and just let it happen. So we will see!

- Motivation. Some may also call this "itchy feet." I am so happy to go home and see loved ones, but I know there will be a point in the near future where I will be ready to go again. Go where? I don't know. Not a clue. But traveling is absolutely something that becomes addictive, and there is so much more of the world I want to see. I want to DO and SEE and GO! The Doing, Seeing, and Going is yet to be determined.

- A full heart. I can remember moments this year when I felt pure joy. I can remember moments where I felt absolute sadness and fear. Each tug of my emotions Colombia has put me through has made me a bit stronger and a lot more full of life. Not to mention the gifts my students have given me and the experiences of learning about this beautifully crazy country.


I'm going to write again on the plane tonight and will continue to post in the coming weeks. This chapter of my life is not fully complete, even when my feet hit more familiar land...




No comments:

Post a Comment