Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tranquila

Tranquila- this word wasn't taught to me in Spanish classes, but I've been hearing it and practicing it since day one in Colombia. Tranquila has many English synonyms such as relax, calm down, don't worry, you're welcome, or chill out. It's also one of those words that is used in ways we don't have an equivalent use for, and it is used A LOT. it can be used as an expression but also to describe a person or place. Everyone from teachers, to host moms, to the robbers have told me to tranquila. (Not surprisingly someone like me who cries easily gets told to chill out a lot.) But I have also been told I'm tranquila as a person (which I took as saying I'm more or less easy-going).

So the last few weeks in Bogota haven't been easy for me working many hours, healing and moving on, while still dealing with everyday cultural challenges of being in a new, weird place. Two weeks ago I had some particularly rough few days, and I felt anything but tranquila. So I thought about where I go to find tranquila, and the obvious answer for me is Vermont. Specifically way up in the little corner of Lake Champlain neighboring Quebec at my lake house. Long story short... I needed to make getting to Vermont and getting back to a peaceful place possible, and I did.


I have spent the last four days between Boston and Vermont, feeling more tranquila. I ate bagels and a lobster roll. I played with my puppies and stuck my feet and hands in the lake. I drank wine and (good) beer with friends. And I snuggled and picnicked with my love. I got the boost I needed to keep me going.

I wasn't planning on coming back to the states at any point this year. In reality, there isn't much about the states that I miss when I am away. My idea of a "home" has always been pretty open and has much more to do with the people I'm with that makes a place tranquila for me. But sometimes you surprise yourself with what you need. And I needed this weekend.

Thanks to everyone that helped me make this little break possible, and thanks to everyone who is part of my support system for this whole year's ups and downs. Tranquila is an important mantra I am going to keep holding onto throughout this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment