Saturday, June 2, 2012

Colombia- Round Two.

Hello friends! Great news to report. I have a lovely, new home! This past week I have been settling in and getting acquainted to my new neighborhood. I now live on the top (6th) floor of an apartment in the neighborhood of Colina Campestre. This neighborhood, though further north, is only about a 15 minute drive to school and comes with lots of perks.

Giant terris! 

One of those apartments is Natalie's!
The first being that my buds Natalie and Mayis are right around the corner! And I now live with a woman named Gloria (Modern Family references encouraged and appropriate!) and a university student, Daniela. We all get a long great and I feel like I really have a host family (especially because I've already met half of Gloria's family in week one.)

Like I said, here is the family hanging out Saturday morning. (Gloria is on the air mattress)

The neighborhood is MUCH safer but doesnt' feel closed off like some more residential parts of cities can be.  There is a cheaper neighborhood complete with a great bakery, fruit stand, and a mysterious cupcake lady Natalie and I are on a mission to find. There is also a mall nearby with a cheap movie theater and get this... SUSHI and MIDDLE EASTER RESTAURANTS! Nom nom nom. But don't worry, there are still arepas on the street corner.

At first I was hesitant to move to such a nicer area of town. And things like public transportation are more challenging here (the richer are more likely to have cars). But I know that I am still getting an authentic Colombian experience here. The nerves and anxiety from the last few weeks have settled and I feel more like myself again here. It doesn't hurt that I have some amazing trips coming up during vacation, and my students are really making progress at school. I have lots to be happy about here. I'm especially glad I now have a place to call home again!

My awesome shelving unit.

My little room with the most comfortable bedspread ever.
Also, there are no Care Bears on my mattress like the last place :)

Yes, this is way above my expectations too.  You can even flush the toilet paper.


I think I'm gonna be just fine here!








1 comment:

  1. Yay! Love it except for your guest policy. I loved your tranquila blog too but blogspot hates me and didn't post my comment..

    ReplyDelete