Saturday, October 6, 2012

Things I can now successfully do in Spanish:

1. Get from one end of the city to the other (and successfully survive the bus "system").

2. Talk about anything related to food vocabulary or cooking. I understand 98% of food vocabulary and the 2% would be the exotic meats this vegetarian doesn't eat.

3. Get my hair cut. three different times. two of which I did not hate.

4. Read the mysterious handouts that I am asked to give my students. Now I'm in on the secret field trips and assemblies that were much more of a surprise in the spring.

5. Understand when my kids swear in class and call them on it. (Mierda! Endendiste?!)

6. Make one dirty joke. And possible three regular jokes. (Other than people just laughing at my accent.)

7. Understand and sing the entire Colombian National Anthem. (Part of which is on video for further proof.)

8. Have multiple bus conversations about the everyday trials and tribulations of the 8th graders on my bus. And understand their jokes, usually related to vomiting or falling down.

9. Eavesdrop on approximately four conversations. This takes quite a bit of brainpower, and I usually put in the effort only when I can tell they are talking about me.

10. Adapt my vocabulary and mannerisms to include Colombian Spanish sound effects such as uush, uuuf, oye no, and related hand gestures.

and maybe a few more things... I am certainly no where near being fluent at this point. But of course I understand more now than last year or even last May. Speaking another language in my opinion is a necessary evil. (Evil only because it's so hard.)

And some Spanish-speaking goals of mine before I leave here:

1.  Practice writing, my level of reading and speaking is much higher.

2. Learn the lyrics to a full song and be able to sing it. I have a few that I've been practicing.

3. Successfully explain and/or discuss politics. There are some great organizations I would love to be involved in here if only I could get over the language barrier fear.

4. Have better come backs when people say dumb things or make fun of me. Particularly a new roommate of mine who has had two five-minute conversations with me so far, both of which have been mildly offensive. Ugh.


So I have just under two months left! And luckily I have no choice but to practice every day!





No comments:

Post a Comment