Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election Night in Colombia: "Look Colombians! Not all Americans look like me!" and other thoughts about diversity.

Well, now that the election is over, I can finally return to New Hampshire without the brainwashing of TV ads and robo-calls. It's weird watching such important events for my country from overseas (you may remember my Olympics post!), and it certainly gives you a different perspective on things. So here is my reflection, for whatever it's worth, watching the election from abroad.

First, if you didn't watch the President's victory speech, you should. It was not Democratic or liberal or political; it was presidential.

Second: One thing that I realized after living abroad, and actually miss about the states, is just what exactly having a diverse country means. Sure there are many differences between Colombians. But in the United State, for better or worse, it is relatively normal to have people around you that don't look like you, talk like you, or or especially think like you.

I like having Obama as my president while I live abroad, because I am constantly asked if everyone in America looks like me. Ummm, hello? Obama finally embodies this notion that, as he stated last night, "What makes America exceptional are the bonds that hold together the most diverse nation on Earth"


All day today and yesterday the election has come up frequently and randomly. Everyone wants to know who I voted for, how I voted, and if I like Obama. Here are some examples of the conversations I had:

Student: "I like Obama! Who is that other guy?"

Student: "Ohh teacher, Romney is from Boston! He wins your home?"

Student: "I like Obama because he's black."
Me: "Why does that matter?"
Student: "Well, because he's different. Someone new." 

Student: "Romney is the typical, imperialist type of person that you had so many presidents like him."
Me: "And Obama isn't?"
Student: "No, because he uses communication. He acts like a partner."

Whether you think about this when you go to the polls or not, the rest of the world is watching us on election night. When I asked my students whether the US election was important to Colombia, they all unequivocally said YES!

Read this from Thomas Friedman's Op-Ed today:

"Many in the next generation of America know climate change is real, and they want to see something done to mitigate it. Many in the next generation of America will be of Hispanic origin and insist on humane immigration reform that gives a practical legal pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants...  Many in the next generation of America see gays and lesbians in their families, workplaces and Army barracks, and they don’t want to deny them the marriage rights held by others." 

I still can't believe that in 2012 we are discussing things like equal pay for women and men and the rights of rape victims. I can't believe it's not a given that whoever your family is and whoever you love doesn't define who you are and cannot justify discrimination.

Diversity is what makes our country exceptional, and tolerance is what makes our country great. No matter what your political party may be, I hope my generation continues to appreciate the value that people with "differences" have in our communities and our lives.

I hope in the future (not so far away), when my generation grows out of the "youth vote" and looks back on this time, we can all say we were on the right side of history. Not because we did or did not vote for Obama, but because we saw intolerance and decided to change things, by voting.


1 comment:

  1. isn't it so interesting to be outside of the us for an event like the election?? I heard a lot of similar comments. One of the main ones was "Romney gave a very good speech. It is so nice that he admitted he lost. That does not always happen here."

    ReplyDelete