Friday, November 2, 2012

The playlist to my year


Every period of one's life comes with certain songs that trigger special memories and associations. This year in Colombia has been no exception. It's quite the mix of Colombian and American tunes, but each song will forever be one of my Colombian songs.


The sing-a-long on the bus song:  Luis Enrique "Yo No Se Mañana"
(Also my favorite Colombian love song)


The song everyone is singing in the bars and you can't understand the words:
Michel Teló "Ai Se Eu Te Pego"
(Spoiler alert: no one knows the words because they're Portuguese!)


The song to remind you what your students think of you:
Carlos Vives "Carito"
(The answer is they all have crushes on us)



The song that becomes a sensation in the States and nobody gets here UNTIL NOW and also describes a typical Friday night:  Carly Rae Jepson "Call Me Maybe"


The song to sum up Colombians' obsession with 80s music and desire to learn new dance moves wherever and whenever:   Michael Jackson "Thriller"



The song we here at our favorite bar as we get free drinks and life becomes complete:
Justin Timberlake (Featuring Nelly) "Girlfriend"



I swear I cannot make this up, every bar without fail plays songs from the past three decades. I have no complaints.

There's also an odd amount of show tunes in the public transit system (I've heard Mamma Mia more than I can count)

And finally, The song that echos throughout the city each day at 6am and 6pm. One of the most beautiful National Anthems in the world. (Don't take my word for it, there was a study!)

Himno Nacional de Colombia!
(There may or may not be a video of me singing the first verse of this on Student Day... I may or may not know all the words...)





No comments:

Post a Comment