Saturday, December 24, 2011

12 Days of... The USA

12 days and counting until I depart for Colombia. In the midst of wrapping, visiting friends, and snuggling with my puppies I've been getting more information about what to expect with my upcoming adventure. 

Today, I found out my school placement! In Bogota, I will be teaching English to grade 6th - 11th at Colegio El Minuto de Dios. This roughly translates as "God's minute" or "Minute of God" school. If you want to test your Spanish skills, you can check out the website. All the information I have received has been in Spanish, so it's been fun to get used to that. What I've learned so far is that (perhaps you could guess) it is a Catholic school run by priests for a diverse group of students from around Bogota. Also, since I can translate numbers pretty well ;) I see that my hours of teaching will be from 6:16am- 1:30pm. woof. That will take some getting used to, but I suppose I am a morning person. 


More is still to come about my host family and other details important to my new everyday life. Here in NH, I've been spending lots of time with my adult ESL students after class. These guys love to dance and eat (hence why we are friends) so I was invited to two lunches at a local yummy Mexican restaurant. We had a yankee swap yesterday and next week we are moving the party to Amelia's house so we have more space to dance. Quite a few of my new friends are Colombian, so it's been great to practice my Spanish with them and learn some Colombian idioms. First priority is learning my favorite snack food in espanol- which is apparently very popular in Bogota- Maiz pira which means POPCORN! I can probably survive without the peanut butter and goldfish if I get a steady diet of popcorn regularly.


My new friends at "La Carreta"
Yankee Swapping- Carlos (from Bogota) snagging the vase from Jing.

Now I'm off to finish up the traditional Bailey red velvet cake and make stuffed mushrooms for dinner tonight. Feliz Navidad!

No comments:

Post a Comment