Thursday, December 15, 2011

Viva Bogota!

Less than three weeks to go and I am so relieved to know I will be living in the capital city of Bogota! There are a handful of options for placements and my only request was to be in the interior of the country (as opposed to the hot, tropical coast). This is how WorldTeach describes Bogota for us:

Bogotá is located near the center of Colombia in the Andes mountains. It is the capital and largest city in Colombia with a diverse mix of people and a population of  nearly 8 million – the size of New York City.  Colombians from Bogotá are known to be very lively, friendly, and on-the-go. The economic disparity of Colombia is easily viewed in Bogotá, a city that has wealthy neighborhoods with upscale shopping malls and eateries to extremely impoverished areas and everything in between. The weather in Bogotá varies a lot, from cold jacket weather to t-shirt and jeans weather. It can be compared to the spring or fall in the northern U.S. with cooler rainy days or warmer sunny days depending on the season. 

The big city between the mountains.
 This isn't completely unfamiliar to me since I visited Bogota for ten days during the summer of 2010. My strongest memory was probably of how COLD it was in August. So I won't be shy about packing my sweaters and other typical Vermont styles I rock so well. This also means that I get a head start on the whole adjustment thing since I have fabulous Mayis and Natalia (friends from my Washington Semester Program) so close by!

Maria and me with Bogota in the background. It's cold and foggy- Just like VT!
I still don't know what school or grade I will be with yet and will hopefully find this out next week. I'm loving my volunteer classrooms so much that it will be hard to say goodbye to my students here next week. 

It's finally starting to set in now that my city in confirmed and I've started to chat with my fellow volunteers. Also dear friends,  start planning your vacation now! Jet Blue even flies there! : )

1 comment:

  1. good luck in Colombia, remember that in my country the only risk is wanting to stay and thank you very much for everything you helped us in class!

    ReplyDelete